[BioC] ReadAffy can not find function read.AnnotatedDataFrame

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Nov 30 17:59:18 CET 2006

Hi Georg,

Georg Otto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem using ReadAffy using the new AnnotatedDataFrame class:
>
> targets<-new("AnnotatedDataFrame")
> pData(targets)<-read.table("Targets.txt", header=TRUE, row.names=2)
>
> Data<-ReadAffy(celfile.path =cel.path,
>                filenames = sampleNames(targets),
>                verbose=TRUE)
>
> Error in AllButCelsForReadAffy(..., filenames = filenames, widget = widget,  :
> 	could not find function "read.AnnotatedDataFrame"
>
> I have the newest devel version of Biobase installed (see below)

No, that version of Biobase is 0.0.06 versions old ;-D. The newest
version is 1.13.19. Using an old version of R and devel versions of BioC
packages is likely to result in these sorts of problems because you
cannot easily use biocLite() to update things. I would recommend getting
the newest version of Biobase, then getting the repos list, and then
using update packages.

a <- biocReposList()
update.packages(repos=a, ask=FALSE)

I'm not familiar with doing things on MacOS, but on windows adding a
type="source" will usually work better because the binaries are
sometimes not built, and usually take longer to propagate anyway. I
assume you have to be set up to build source packages on MacOS as well?

Also, RSiteSearch() doesn't search the BioC listserv. You have to go to
the BioC website and click on the 'Join mailing list' link, then the
link saying something about searchable archives provided by gmane.

Best,

Jim

> RSiteSearch("read.AnnotatedDataFrame")
>
> did not give me a result.
>
> Any idea what is wrong here or where I can find the requested function?
>
> Best,
>
> Georg
>

>>sessionInfo()
>
> R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
>
> locale:
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "splines"   "tools"     "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
> [7] "datasets"  "methods"   "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>      maPlot  maAnalysis      hopach     cluster geneplotter    annotate
>       "1.0"       "1.0"     "1.8.0"    "1.11.2"    "1.12.0"    "1.13.2"
>    affydata       limma  simpleaffy  genefilter    survival        affy
>    "1.10.0"     "2.9.4"     "2.9.0"    "1.13.1"      "2.29"    "1.13.9"
>      affyio     Biobase
>     "1.3.1"   "1.13.13"

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician