[BioC] retrieving genomic sequences with biomaRt

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 19:18:07 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am putting a little script together to look at promoter regions,
search for CpG islands etc, given a list of gene ids.

I thought I would be able to use biomaRt to retrieve the sequence of
interest, but I just can't find how right now... either I'm too tired
(possible) or I'm missing something and it's just not possible. In
particular 'getSequence' looked promising, but no luck so far.

What I want to do is:
1) I have a gene id, from it I want to locate the chromosome location
of the gene, the start of transcription.
2) knowing the transcriptional start, I want to retrieve the genomic
sequence around that area... say 2000bp upstream and 1000 downstream.

Anybody knows if this is possible and/or could give me any pointers?

Thank you!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374