[BioC] Assistance: mouse4302cdf installation

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Oct 25 15:23:13 CEST 2006

Hi Melissa,

It appears your sysadmin is pretty responsive (you do have the newest
release of R installed after all), so you may be able to take Li and
Kasper's advice.

However, there is a simple option you can take that will allow you to
install an arbitrary number of packages without having to bother the
sysadmin every time you want to add another. Just create a directory
somewhere that you do have privileges (e.g., /home/<Melissa's
home>/R_library) and then use .libPaths() to set this as a library. You
will also need to create a .Rprofile file in your home directory as
well, so every time you start R it will know about the library.

The .Rprofile file will only need to contain one line:

.libPaths("/home/<Melissa's home>/R_library")

You could also add

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")

so you can use biocLite() to install things without having to explicitly
source the function every time. I have this in my .Rprofile because I
get really tired of typing the above line every time I want to install
something.

Best,

Jim

Melissa Paczkowski wrote:
> We are using the newest version of Bioconductor (1.9) to perform an Affy
> microarray analysis on some mouse chips.  When we start using the "expresso"
> command to normalize the signal intensity, we get the following error statement:
>
> "mkdir: "/usr/local/R-2.4.0/lib/R/library/00LOCK": Permission denied
> ERROR: failed to lock directory '/usr/local/R-2.4.0/lib/R/library' for modifying
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         /tmp/Rtmpi41v2y/downloaded_packages
> Error in getCdfInfo(object) : Could not obtain CDF environment, problems
> encountered:
> Specified environment does not contain Mouse430_2
> Library - package mouse4302cdf not installed
> Data for package affy did not contain mouse4302cdf
> Library - package mouse4302cdf not installed
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: installation of package 'mouse4302cdf' had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages(cdfname, lib = lib, repos = Biobase:::biocReposList(),
> 2: cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)"
>
> We downloaded "mouse4302cdf_1.12.0.tar.gz", but we cannot install it.  We tried
> to use the following R commands to install this package:
>
> install.packages("mouse4302cdf")
> install.packages2("mouse4302cdf")
> attach(mouse4302cdf)
> biocLite("mouse4302cdf")
>
> We also tried installing the "getBioC" package from the
> www.bioconductor.org/download   .
>
> Thank you for your help.

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician