[BioC] Nimblegen data: oligo, affy, limma?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 12:47:51 CEST 2006

I have been using limma for a little while, for the analysis of
2-colour cDNA arrays.

I am going to get pretty soon some data from Nimblegen. This will be on
their promoter arrays, hybridised with some ChIP samples. I understand
it follows a similar format to Affymetrix, but they use 2-colour hybs.

I'm wondering as to the best way to analyse these. I checked the BioC
archive for "nimblegen" and I got a couple of things to consider, but I
am still not sure.

Initially I thought that 'affy' would be the way to go, but since it's
a 2-colour hyb, I suppose that 'limma' could handle it. In fact, from
limma I could choose to treat the data as single channel arrays if I
had to, and I am already familiar with limma. The things I have to
consider is what method to normalise the data. I read that Loess might
not be such a good idea for this type of data (ChIP on promoter
arrays), and perhaps Aquantile would be best. I don't know. I'll have
to check further. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Then I found that there's a package somewhere (didn't see it in BioC)
called 'oligo' that seems to support Nimblegen data, so I would like to
look into that too. Again, any comments as to how useful this is,
especially in comparison with limma, would be great.

thanks for your help!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374