[BioC] R: Degradation plots - Affy package

Alberto Goldoni alberto.goldoni at eurogene.org
Tue Sep 5 15:21:48 CEST 2006

4.3 RNA degradation plots
The functions AffyRNAdeg, summaryAffyRNAdeg, and plotAffyRNAdeg aid in
assessment
of RNA quality. Individual probes in a probeset are ordered by location
relative to
the 50 end of the targeted RNA molecule.A
ymetrix (1999) Since RNA degradation
typically starts from the 50 end of the molecule, we would expect probe
intensities to be
systematically lowered at that end of a probeset when compared to the 30
end. On each
chip, probe intensities are averaged by location in probeset, with the
average taken over
probesets. The function plotAffyRNAdeg produces a side-by-side plots of
these means,
making it easy to notice any 50 to 30 trend. The function
summaryAffyRNAdeg produces
a single summary statistic for each array in the batch, o
ering a convenint measure of
the severity of degradation and significance level. For an example

this is the explanation of the affy vignette.

Best regards

Dr Alberto Goldoni

Medical Genetics Unit

S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital