[BioC] X11 problem

Marcus Davy mdavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Thu Sep 7 23:58:51 CEST 2006

This came up on a thread recently regarding the OS X operating system where
the exact same error message occurred. You need to install X11R6 or X11R7 on
fedora to allow R to interface with X11 and produce X11, png, or jpeg
graphics. After installing X11R6/7 I would then build R from source again.

For OS X if you install the latest binary (2-3-1.dmg), it will give the same
error unless you also install the specific package X11User.pkg AND make sure
it is running concurrently with R. For new R users using OS X, X11User.pkg
is on the original installation disks, you have to search for and install
it. The Apple downloads portal provides a version which will *not* work for
OS version 10.4 (tiger).

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#X11-window-server-_002
8optional_0029

You may also need to set the environment variable for DISPLAY to ":0" with;

  Sys.putenv(DISPLAY = ":0")

This seems to be handled in the R function X11 itself for OS X;

 X11 <-
function (display = "", width = 7, height = 7, pointsize = 12,
    gamma = getOption("gamma"), colortype = getOption("X11colortype"),
    maxcubesize = 256, bg = "transparent", canvas = "white",
    fonts = getOption("X11fonts"), xpos = NA, ypos = NA)
{
    if (display == "" && .Platform$GUI == "AQUA" && Sys.getenv("DISPLAY") ==
        "")
        Sys.putenv(DISPLAY = ":0")       # <- for AQUA

Marcus