[BioC] pca.legend function of package affycoretools

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Sep 19 19:32:52 CEST 2006

Kimpel, Mark William wrote:
> I am trying to hack the function plotPCA of package "affycoretools" so
> that I can use special symbols in place of the default.
>
> I cannot access the function "pca.legend". I get the following error
> message.

Ha! I have been most tricky and hid this function in a NAMESPACE, so no
hacking for you! ;-D

Kidding aside, is there a particular symbol you want to plot that isn't
available? You can specify any one of the 25 'number-based' plotting
symbols using the group argument to plotPCA() (see example(points) for
the available choices). In other words, you don't have to use 1s and 2s
for the plotting symbols. If you want solid circles and solid diamonds,
you could specify groups = c(16,16,16,18,18,18), or whatever, depending
on the number of replicates.

If you tell me what you would want to do, it would probably be easier
for me to implement than for you to hack.

However, if you really want to play around with things, you will need to
download the package sources first, then make your changes to the
function in the affystart.R file, and then re-install. Since I use a
namespace on this package, you cannot just change things locally and
expect them to work because a namespace is designed to keep things like
that from happening (well, actually it is designed to keep different
packages from over-writing functions with the same names, but the effect
is the same).

If you want me to make changes, let me know quickly because we go into
feature freeze on the 25th.

Best,

Jim

> pca.legend
> Error: object "pca.legend" not found
> No suitable frames for recover()
>
> Same error message when I try to use the function.
>
> Is this function written in C?
>
> How can I access it?
>
> Thanks Jim,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark W. Kimpel MD
>

> (317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile
>

> (317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)
>
> 1-(317)-536-2730 FAX

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core