[BioC] new CDF env from combineAffyBatch is not recognized

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Sep 25 16:17:05 CEST 2006

Hi Jean-Louis,

jean-louis.ruelle at gskbio.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to combine hgu133a and hgu133a2 chips in a single data analysis
> (gcrma, ...).
> I used combine.AffyBatch to get both the combined affybatch and the hybrid
> CDF, and all worked smoothly.
> However, I get into trouble when running rma, it looks like the new CDF
> environment is not known to R; that is further confirmed in using
> getCdfEnvAffy, as can be seen below.
> Indeed, I'd like to background correct the raw data with gcrma, but that
> can be done separately on both data sets (is it correct ?), which will
> then be combined after for normalisation and summarization with rma.
> However, the problem remains.
> Has anybody been successful at combining hgu133a and hgu133a2 ?
>
> I'm running R 2.3.1 and BioC 1.8 , on Win XP.
> rawdata.p6p12 and rawdata.p15 are plain affybatches;
>

>>library(matchprobes)
>>

> combined=combineAffyBatch(list(rawdata.p6p12,rawdata.p15),c("hgu133aprobe","hgu133a2probe"),newcdf="hgu133aa2")
> package:hgu133aprobe    hgu133aprobe
> package:hgu133a2probe   hgu133a2probe
> 241837 unique probes in common
>
>>rawdata.p6p15=combined$dat
>>hgu133aa2cdf=combined$cdf
>>
>>str(rawdata.p6p15)
>
> Formal class 'AffyBatch' [package "affy"] with 10 slots
>   ..@ cdfName     : chr "hgu133aa2"
>   ..@ nrow        : num 0
>   ..@ ncol        : num 0
>   ..@ exprs       : num [1:483674, 1:21]  662 1078 1631 4645 6793 ...
>   lot of stuff deleted
>

>>eset=rma(rawdata.p6p15)
>
> Error in getCdfInfo(object) : Could not obtain CDF environment, problems
> encountered:
> Specified environment does not contain hgu133aa2
> Library - package hgu133aa2cdf not installed
> Data for package affy did not contain hgu133aa2cdf
> Bioconductor - hgu133aa2cdf not available

I think the problem here is that you have named your cdf hgu133aa2cdf,
but the cdfname of your AffyBatch is hgu133aa2. Try

cdfName(rawdata.p6p15) <- "hgu133aa2cdf"

and see if it works.

HTH,

Jim

>>library(altcdfenvs)

>>getCdfEnvAffy(rawdata.p6p15)
>
> Error in getCdfInfo(abatch) : Could not obtain CDF environment, problems
> encountered:
> Specified environment does not contain hgu133aa2
> Library - package hgu133aa2cdf not installed
> Data for package affy did not contain hgu133aa2cdf
> Bioconductor - hgu133aa2cdf not available
>

> Thanks for your help.
> Jean-Louis

> Jean-Louis Ruelle
> GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, R&D
> Rue de l'Institut, 89
> 1330 Rixensart
> Belgium
>
> Phone : + 32-2-6568451
> Fax :   +32-2-6568436
> email :  jean-louis.ruelle at gskbio.com
>

> The information contained in this message is confidential an...{{dropped}}

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center