[BioC] separation of profiles

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 26 17:58:08 CEST 2006

Hi Lana,
   You might need to give us a bit more detail. But some general
comments can be made. Since p-values are probabilities they take values
only in the range 0-1. So while you have what you believe are distinct
p-value profiles, they almost surely mix at some point. If you you have
some sense of how to parameterize those distributions you could try to
use some sort of mixture model approach to assign p-values (and hence
genes) to a particular profile, but that will almost surely have large
error rates.

   I don't think I understand why you would look at p-values? Why not
identify gene expression profiles and use those to map genes. That makes
much more sense to me, but perhaps I have not understood your question.

  best wishes
    Robert

Lana Schaffer wrote:
> Hi,
> I have genes whose pvalues behave as 2 different profiles over a time course
> treatment effect.  I would like to separate the correlated profiles into 2 sets
> of genes.  How can I do this in R?
>

> Lana Schaffer
> Biostatistics/Informatics
> The Scripps Research Institute