[BioC] batch effect on variances

Lana Schaffer schaffer at scripps.edu
Tue Sep 26 19:29:47 CEST 2006

Hi,
This is just a case of matching profiles during something
like a time course.  In packages like GeneSpring and Spotfile the user
is allowed to chose a profile and then find other "genes" with matching
profiles for varying correlations.  In this case I have pvalues that are
significant for differential expression at short time periods and not
significant at long time periods.  I want to get the list of genes with that
profile.
Alternatively, the log expression ratio is high at short time period and
then levels off
at long time periods for all the genes of interest.  I thought that the high
pvalues
was due to increased variance and therefore heterogeneity. I don't know how
think about the decreased expression along with this, since I am dealing
with
differential expression.  I have done co-expression analysis for all these
genes and
find them to be co-expressed between 2 modules.  Show the goal is to show
levels of hetergeneity between the time periods.

I am wondering if I used limma correctly for I divided up the samples into
3 "time periods" and then then fit the samples together.  I then used
contrasts to get adjusted pvalues for the genes for the 3 "time periods".
When
I graphed the trends in pvalues for each of the genes over time I get
profiles which
increase and then flatten for a set of genes (I want to get that set of
genes)
and then other profiles.  I want to show that the
variance (hetergeneity) increases with time with some of the genes.
I think that I could do a multivariate regression to indicate a regression
in
differential expression, but then if the ratio is leveling off then
regression
won't tell me anything.
I hope you can understand where I am going.
Lana