[BioC] RMA with few arrays

Ann Hess hess at stat.colostate.edu
Wed Sep 27 22:05:58 CEST 2006

I am wondering if it is appropriate to compute expression indices with RMA
for only a small number of arrays (2 or 3).  I have seen in previous posts
that the expression indices can be identical for some probe sets across
different arrays when using RMA with few arrays (because of the median
polish algorithm).  I have observed this for the data in question.  Is is
appropriate to just remove those probe sets from down stream analysis?  Is
there a problem with computing RMA for such a small group of arrays?

The data was generated by a scientist interested in comparing three
treatments.  However, they ran a single replicate of each treatment and
then reproduced the experiment at a later date.  So, there are a total of
6 arrays, but they come from two separate experiments.  Currently, they
are just interested in comparing two of the treatments.

My plan was to run RMA for each of the experiments separately (since I
don't think it is appropriate to normalize all the arrays together).  Then
combine the results and use a paired t-test to test for differential gene
expression for the two treatment groups of interest.

When I tried this approach (using limma and multtest), the results
actually looked good until I took a closer look at the RMA values and
noticed the identical expression indices across arrays for some probe
sets.

Ann