[BioC] GEOquery : 'cannot open URL'

Chaitanya Acharya c.acharya at duke.edu
Fri Sep 29 17:51:08 CEST 2006

Glazko, Galina <Galina_Glazko at ...> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> When I am trying to use GEOquery package, I get an error message:
>
> > gse <- getGEO("GSE1132")
>
> trying URL
> 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/data/geo/by_series/GSE462_family.soft.gz
> '
>
> Error in download.file(myurl, destfile, mode = mode) :
>
>         cannot open URL
> 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/data/geo/by_series/GSE462_family.soft.gz
> '
>
> May be I have to update the package or reinstall?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Galina
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> Search the archives:

Hi Galina,
There is a way to ovecome this problem.
Follow these steps:

1. Open GEOquery directory under "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.2.1\library\GEOquery"
2. Open R. You should notice 'GEOquery' file.
3. Open it is a text editor (Notepad, Wordpad etc). Scroll the file to line#309.
4. You are in getGEOfile function. You should notice blocks of code that give
specific instructions depending on the file type. At ln 309, change the ftp URL
to: gseurl <- 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SOFT/by_series/'
5. Save the file...and you should be set. It worked for me. If you have problems
again, probably you might want to restart R.

But I must tell you that it takes a long time to load the GSE dataset...have
patience.

Thanks,
Chaitanya