[BioC] packages lumiHumanV1 and lumiHumanV2

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 3 21:22:10 CEST 2007

Heim, Katharina wrote:
> Hello,
>

> is there any reason why you can use the packages "lumiHumanV1" and
> "lumiHumanV2" just with R 2.5.0?
>
> I would like to use these packages but without R 2.5.0 it is not
> possible. Is there any chance to use the packages with R 2.4.1?

Hi Katharina,

This is because lumiHumanV1, lumiHumanV2 and lumi are part of Bioconductor 2.0
(our upcoming release). Bioconductor 2.0 is intended to work with R 2.5.0 only.
Each Bioconductor release is intended to work with the latest stable version of
R that is available at the time we release. R 2.5.0 will be released before the
end of this month and BioC 2.0 will follow a couple of days later. More details
here:

  http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/BioC_2.0_Release_Schedule

R and Bioconductor are moving fast with 1 release every 6 months. There are too
many changes between 2 consecutive releases of R and Bioconductor to make it
worth trying to have, let's say, BioC 2.0 working with R 2.4.1, or some BioC 2.0
packages working with BioC 1.9.

Now in the case of lumiHumanV1 and lumiHumanV2, they both depend on lumi which is new
in Bioconductor 2.0. Even if the DESCRIPTION file in lumi indicates that it requires
R >= 2.4.0 you won't be able to install it easily in R-2.4.1 because lumi itself
depends on other devel packages (affy, Biobase 1.13.41, etc...) that are so different
from their current release version that they would break your installation of BioC
1.9 if you managed to install them.

Cheers,
H.