[BioC] CDF/Probe/Annotation for GNF1m custom chip

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Apr 9 20:56:13 CEST 2007

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Is this also the case where someone offers to maintain the CDF  package
> and the CDF package in question may have a large )at least  larger than
> a single lab) audience (collaborating labs using the same  chip). I
> think I will be in that situation "soon".

We had a discussion about this a couple of years ago and at that time
the consensus was that we would only offer those packages that are
freely downloadable from Affy.

I would still argue for keeping this paradigm, mainly because Affy as a
company is particularly worried about the ownership of intellectual
property (have you ever read their Terms of Use document that comes with
the chips? I'm no lawyer, but it appears to me that you _barely_ have
the right to even use the chip, and that point is debatable.).

Legal issues aside, a custom chip by definition has an extremely limited
group of users, but the amount of work required to host the chip is the
same as for something like an hgu133plus2. At some point you have to say
that the effort expended to do something is greater than the aggregate
benefit for end users, and with limited resources keeping the
cost/benefit ratio small is very important.

Best,

Jim