[BioC] Limma: All probes come out as significant

Daniel Brewer daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 15:09:51 CEST 2007

Sean Davis wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 06:24, Daniel Brewer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a curious problem involving Limma.  I have an ExpressionSet
>> object (called Seminoma) that contains the results of 18 samples (12
>> tumours and 6 normals).  The only strange thing I have done is to join
>> Affymetrix U133A and B results (renaming the probes so that there is no
>> overlap).
>> As you can see, all the probes appear to be significantly differentially
>> expressed.  I am sure this should not be the case, especially after
>> examining a number of different probes.  For example, on probe "117_at"
>> if I run a t-test() it produces a p-value of 0.1034 (no adjustment)
>> whereas limma suggests it is 8.4e-07 (or 2.45e-06).
>>
>> My only thought is that something must be happening in the eBayes step.
>>  Can anyone help me on what I might be doing wrong?
>
> Your design vector will test that the probes are significantly different from
> 0.  You probably want to include an intercept term or (I find it more natural
> for two groups) define the two groups explicitly and then use a contrast
> matrix to get the difference between the two.  In either case, your design
> matrix needs at least two columns.
>
> Sean

Thanks for that.  You are completely correct and it seems I have made a
fundamental error with limma when working with 1-channel arrays (I
learnt it using 2-channel).  So was  my design matrix basically
detecting probes that are different from zero in only the tumour
samples? i.e. the normal samples were ignored.

Many thanks again

Daniel

Daniel Brewer, Ph.D.
Institute of Cancer Research
Email: daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addre...{{dropped}}