[BioC] marray and limma error with lmFit

Paquet, Agnes apaquet at medsfgh.ucsf.edu
Thu Apr 19 20:12:46 CEST 2007

Dear Birger,

I just tried the code from the book on R 2.4.0 and R 2.5.0 and I was not able to reproduce the error you are mentionning. My Bioconductor installation on R2.4.0 is the following:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
i386-pc-mingw32
locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
attached base packages:
 [1] "grid"      "tools"     "tcltk"     "methods"   "stats"
 [6] "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "base"
other attached packages:
       beta7 arrayQuality RColorBrewer     gridBase       hexbin
     "0.6.0"     "1.11.3"      "0.2-3"      "0.4-3"      "1.8.0"
  colorspace      lattice      convert       marray    tkWidgets
      "0.95"     "0.14-9"      "1.8.0"     "1.13.5"     "1.12.1"
      DynDoc  widgetTools      Biobase        limma
    "1.12.0"     "1.10.0"     "1.12.2"      "2.8.1"

Could you please email us the result of sessionInfo() on your machine so that we can try to reproduce the error you noticed?

The package limma has changed since the book was published, and the column header of the result table generated by topTable are different from the book example. You can find out more on the output from topTable by looking at the help file for this function: ?topTable.
The "P.Value" column that you can see in the book example is the p value for each gene, adjusted for multiple testing. The corresponding column of the new version of topTable would be the column "adj.P.Val", generated using Bonferroni correction.
restable=topTable(LMres,number=10,resort.by="M",adjust.method="bonferroni")

Best,

Agnes