[BioC] Limma: Ignoring sample in differential analysis

Daniel Brewer daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 16:00:08 CEST 2007

Dear all,
I am using limma to perform differential analysis between two
categories.  Some samples in my set do not fall in either category.  I
can see that there is two ways to approach this:
1) Set the non-category samples to zero in the design matrix e.g.
> design
         Low High
GSM89690   0    1
GSM89724   0    1
GSM89728   0    0
GSM89737   0    1
GSM89692   1    0
GSM89693   0    0
GSM89716   0    1
GSM89718   1    0
GSM89726   1    0
GSM89730   1    0
GSM89746   0    0
GSM89747   1    0
GSM89751   0    0
GSM89695   0    0
GSM89739   0    1
GSM89687   1    0
GSM89699   0    0
GSM89701   0    0
GSM89703   0    0
GSM89706   0    0
GSM89708   0    1
GSM89709   0    0
GSM89712   0    0
2) Subset the expression matrix to remove the non-category samples,
which results in the following design matrix:
> design2
         Low High
GSM89690   0    1
GSM89724   0    1
GSM89737   0    1
GSM89692   1    0
GSM89716   0    1
GSM89718   1    0
GSM89726   1    0
GSM89730   1    0
GSM89747   1    0
GSM89739   0    1
GSM89687   1    0
GSM89708   0    1

After running limma on these sets,
fit <- lmFit(SeminomaOnly,design2)
cont.matrix <- makeContrasts(HvsL=High-Low, levels=design2)
fit2 <- contrasts.fit(fit, cont.matrix)
fit3 <- eBayes(fit2)
topTable(fit3,adjust="BH"),
 I have found that these two approaches produce different results with
approach 1 producing which seems to be faulty results.

Could anyone explain if and why approach 1 is wrong?  It is easy enough
to subset the data in this situation, but when there is multiple
contrasts this might prove trickier.

Many thanks

Daniel Brewer
Daniel Brewer, Ph.D.
Institute of Cancer Research
Molecular Carcinogenesis
Email: daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addre...{{dropped}}