[BioC] affyxparser package question

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Thu Aug 9 00:43:46 CEST 2007

What happens is pretty the same effect of what you get when you do
as.numeric() on a matrix...

There is a one to one mapping between X and Y coordinates (given that
you the dimensions of the chip) to an index... This is the nature of
the xy2i function used a lot on the affy package and everything else
on BioConductor. And that's how we get the vector.

The basic idea behind the CEL file (over-simplifying here) is that it
contains 3 columns that we use and I could mimic it with something like:

ints <- rnorm(80)
fake.cel <- expand.grid(X=1:10, Y=1:8)
fake.cel <- cbind(fake.cel, intensity=ints)

if you have a few minutes, you'll see that there is an association
between the X and Y columns with the rownumber... this rownumber is
the "index" I referred to above and is the "fid" column in the
annotation.