[BioC] MAS5 statistics

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Aug 16 21:03:56 CEST 2007

Hi Tony,

Brooks, Anthony B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know it's possible to get some "MAS5.0" stats generated in
> Bioconductor (such as AvBG, %P etc..)
>
> What I'd like to do is get the "Background Standard Deviation" and
> "Signal (All)" as it appears in the Affymetrix Report file.
>
> Is this possible through BioConductor?

This reminds me of one of my favorite fortunes:

 > library(fortunes)
 > fortune("Yoda")

Evelyn Hall: I would like to know how (if) I can extract some of the
information from the summary of my nlme.
Simon Blomberg: This is R. There is no if. Only how.
    -- Evelyn Hall and Simon 'Yoda' Blomberg
       R-help (April 2005)

So the real question here is how does MAS5.0 calculate the "Background
Standard Deviation" and "Signal (All)"?

The first one seems pretty obvious, and there is a method in the affy
package to subtract the background (bg.correct.mas()). It would be
pretty simple to hack that function to get the background that was
subtracted and then compute a standard deviation.

Which leaves us with 'Signal (All)'. I took a cursory glance at the sadd
whitepaper

http://www.affymetrix.com/support/technical/whitepapers/sadd_whitepaper.pdf

and didn't see anything obvious. If you can tell us what this is and
preferably how it is calculated, then we could probably tell you how to
get to it.

Best,

Jim