[BioC] stat/math question on Category vignette

Mark W Kimpel mkimpel at iupui.edu
Thu Aug 23 00:13:49 CEST 2007

I am working my way through the Category vignette and have a question as
to how the t statistics for categories are computed from the incidence
matrix and individual probeset t-statistics. The code that does this can
be found on the bottom of page 3 (development version vignette) and is
as follows:

There are 135 pathways (categories)...
A = AmER2 %*% tobs$statistic
A = tA/sqrt(rs2)
ames(tA) = row.names(AmER2)

I know this is matrix multiplication, but don't know the mathematical or
statistical basis for the computation. I am interested in turning the t
statistic values in tA into p values, so I need to know the df. for each
resultant t. Is that the rs2?

This is know doubt a simple question for the statisticians in the group,
but not for me! :) Thanks for your help,

Mark

--

---

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)