[BioC] problem installing the affy package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Aug 23 21:26:34 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

Martin O'Gorman wrote:
> Hi there, I have just installed the "affy" package from bioconductor
> by downloading the .zip file for windows and extracting to
> ..\R\R-2.3.1\library\ ,ie the directory where all my R packages live.
> However, I can't seem to open the package, getting the following
> error message.
>
>> library(affy)
> Error in library(affy) : there is no package called 'affy'
>
> I have followed the same procedure for affyio without any problems.
> Am I doing something wrong?

Yep. You are doing things about as wrong as you possibly could (where
did you get this idea?).

You really shouldn't be downloading things directly, and you certainly
shouldn't just be unzipping things in library directories. The preferred
method is to use biocLite() to get things, as this function will a.)
install things correctly, b.) get the correct version for the version of
R you are using, and c.) get all other packages that the package you
want depends on.

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("affy")

BTW, R-2.3.1 is pretty old; you should probably upgrade to 2.5.1 while
you are at it.

Best,

Jim

> thanks Martin