[BioC] Measuring similarities beween GO terms graphs

rcaloger raffaele.calogero at unito.it
Wed Aug 29 11:12:10 CEST 2007

Hi,
I am investigating the GO terms enrichment in two independent
experiments in the same cell line: ctrl versus drug1 and ctrl versus drug2.
Using GOstats I can visualize the graphs related to the two groups of
enriched GO terms linked by their parents
I will be very happy if someone could give me some advice where to find
R code to search for similarities between graphs.
Furthermore, there is any computational way to find the presence
subgraphs in common between drug1 and drug2 GO graphs?
Many thanks for the help
Cheers
Raffaele

This is the code I use to  generate the graphical output for each of the
two data sets:
gNll #subset of differentially expressed Entrez Gene Ids
gNuniverse #the subset of Entrez Gene Ids representing the universe
under evaluation
my.go <- "BP"
p.value <- 0.05
      params <- new("GOHyperGParams", geneIds = gNll, universeGeneIds =
gNuniverse,
      annotation = lib, ontology = my.go, pvalueCutoff = p.value,
conditional = FALSE, testDirection = "over")
     hgOver <- hyperGTest(params)
      hgOver.info <- paste(description(hgOver),
            paste(length(universeCounts(hgOver)),"GO BP ids
tested","(",length(which(pvalues(hgOver) < p.value)),"have
p<",p.value,")", sep=" "),
            paste("Selected gene set size:",length(geneIds(hgOver)),
sep=" "),
            paste("Gene universe size:", universeMappedCount(hgOver),
sep=" "),
            paste("Annotation package:", hgOver at annotation, sep=" "),
            sep="\n")
      conditional(params) <- TRUE
      ggMat <- summary(hgOver)

    if(my.go == "BP"){
            tfG <- GOGraph(ggMat[,1], GOBPPARENTS)
      } else if (my.go == "MF"){
            tfG <- GOGraph(ggMat[,1], GOMFPARENTS)
      } else if (my.go == "CC"){
            tfG <- GOGraph(ggMat[,1], GOCCPARENTS)
      }
     gCol <- rep("lightblue", length(nodes(tfG))
     gCol[which(nodes(tfG)%in%ggMat[,1])] <- "tomato"

     tGfnA <-
makeNodeAttrs(tfG,label=nodes(tfG),shape="ellipse",fillcolor=gCol,fixedsize=FALSE)
     plot(tfG, nodeAttrs=tGfnA)

Prof. Raffaele A. Calogero
Bioinformatics and Genomics Unit
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche
c/o Az. Ospedaliera S. Luigi
Regione Gonzole 10, Orbassano
10043 Torino
tel.   ++39 0116705417