[BioC] Wow, what have I done

Tue Dec 11 03:45:21 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:

> Thank you
>
> Am using G5
> And I have Leopard but have not installed as "too little hard drive
> space"
> And have 32bit R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26) which I run with R.app
> and is
> fine but fails to ReadAffy() 81 .cel files (cannot make vector...)
>
> So am now trying for G5 ppc 64bit R to read 83 .cel files
>
> I went to page that says...
>
> 64-bit R for Mac OS X
> All binaries on this page are strictly experimental. For licenses see
> individual projects (basically covered by GPL). All downloads are
> subject to
> acceptance of the disclaimer below. Feedback is welcome, but please
> don't
> use R-bugs as this is not an official release!
> R for PowerPC 64-bit (G5) on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
>
> And obtained the
>
> Monster package of 64-bit R
> The following tar-ball includes R 2.3.1 + X11 client + binaries of
> all CRAN
> packages that build cleanly + binaries of default Bioconducductor
> packages
> that build cleanly. Packages that require external libraries that
> are not
> part of Tiger are not included.
> Download R-2.3.1-ppc64-monster.tar.gz (ca. 530MB!!)
>
> And installed same and it ReadAffy() 81 cel files very nicely but
> BiocLite fails for some packages and affyQCReport and simpleaffy
> are not
> included

Yes, all of this was reasonably clear from your earlier description.

> So
> If this monster package of 2.3.1 is bad out of date, is there a
> monster
> package of 2.6.1 64bit for G5 ppc?

No. And this monster package you are using is more than 1.5 years out
of date.

The only way to get something current which everyone will recommend
(essentially if you have any problems using such an old version of R
people will tell you to upgrade before they help), is to do what I said:
1) Install Leopard
2) Install R-2.6.1 from the package on this page
http://r.research.att.com/
You probably want 2.6.1 (instead of the development version 2.7.0)
and you most certainly want one which under "status" says "ppc64". As
you see on the package, Leopard is required.
3) You then need to be able to install packages "from source". This
includes getting Xcode-3, and tools from
http://r.research.att.com/tools/
and possibly other stuff.
4) Then set
option(pkgtype = "source")