[BioC] Fwd: Wow, what have I done

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Dec 12 04:07:52 CET 2007

Hi Loren,

Loren Engrav wrote:
> Thank you for trying to help, maybe I just do not get it
>
> I am using the page you list below and then going to experimental 64 builds
> from that page

You don't need to follow this "Experimental 64-bit build of R" link (unless you want
to try to build this 64-bit R yourself). The R builds for Leopard are right there
on the page that people pointed to you, that is:

  http://r.research.att.com/

There are 4 different build flavors here: 2 for Tiger (for the i386 and ppc archs
only) and 2 for Leopard (these are _full_ universal builds aka "quad builds" i.e.
they were compiled for the 4 archs: i386, ppc, x86_64 and ppc64).

Now install either
	R-2.6-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz
or
        R-devel-leopard-universal.tar.gz
depending on which version of BioC you want to use: the former is for BioC 2.1 (the
current release) and the latter for BioC 2.2 (the current devel).

Then start R with --arch=x86_64 or --arch=ppc64 and you will be running in 64-bit
mode. This is easy and should take you no more than 5-10 minutes.

> There one finds one for Intel and one for PPC, both 10.4 (neither Leopard),
> Intel is 2.5.0 and PPC is 2.3.1
>
> The monster package of R64 2.3.1 for PPC includes many Bio packages, but not
> affyQCReport

AFAIK, no build of R has ever contained any BioC package. You will need to install
them by following the very detailed instructions already given to you by Kasper.

H.