[BioC] Gene Definition to GI

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Dec 14 21:30:25 CET 2007

Srinivasan Ramachandran wrote:
> Hullo All,
>
> I want to retrieve GI numbers of entries fitting to the gene definition (say
> for example "PII protein"  etc.) as given in NCBI. What is the function in
> Bioconductor? I know getSEQ which needs GI no. and I also know getGI which
> needs Genbank accession number. These 2 functions probably cannot answer get
> GI given a gene definition.
>
> I appreciate any help or suggestion
>
> With kind regards
>
> Ramachandran
> Dr. S. Ramachandran
> Scientist E I
> G.N. Ramachandran Knowledge Centre for Genome Informatics
> Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology
> Mall Road, Delhi 110 007
> Tel: 091-11-2766-6156
> Fax: 091-11-2766-7471
> http://www.igib.res.in/Sprofile/cram.html
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

I feel that I should caution you against this plan.  In general I think
you want to avoid using things as identifiers that were not meant to be
identifiers.

Do you have any other kind of information that is at least meant to
represent an ID?  Perhaps a Unigene, ensemble or refseq ID?

We provide maps for many other popular kinds of IDs, but not for the
definitions.

    Marc