[BioC] affy Package install

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 31 21:58:28 CET 2007

Hi Roger,

Vallejo, Roger wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor Users:
>
> I installed from source code the R 2.6.1 into a Linux redhat Enterprise
> 2.1, with no problems. It runs okay.
>
> Then, I installed R packages from source code also (*.tar.gz) files. I
> do this sort of "manual" installation because this Linux box is not
> connected to the internet due to "security" reasons from my IT folks. It
> is a pain.

What a pain really! Maybe you can convince your IT folks to setup internal
mirrors of the CRAN and Bioconductor package repositories. Then you would
need to convince them to agree to update these repositories on a regular
basis (once a week is reasonable, once a month is still better than nothing,
but less than that can be a problem).
This is the CRAN Mirror HOWTO:
  http://cran.fhcrc.org/mirror-howto.html
and this is the BioC Mirror Howto:
  http://bioconductor.org/download/mirrors/mirror-howto.html
It doesn't give a lot of details but generally speaking setting up a mirror
is not complicated if you are already familiar with rsync and http server
administration/configuration (using Unix/Linux + Apache for this is a very
common choice: it's cheap, reliable, easy and very well documented).
Finally you would need to modify the biocLite.R script a little bit (I, or
other people on this list who have done this before, can help with this).

Let me know if you are interested, I can provide more details.

Cheers,
H.