[BioC] dChip v li.wong() (Was: Re: warnings from li wong summary method in expresso)

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Thu Feb 1 04:57:24 CET 2007

It would be more accurate to say that the Li-Wong code in the affy BioC
package was a best guess attempt at the time to implement the method at
the time it was written (which is quite some time ago when no code was
available). Which is not to say it did well then, or reflects any
subsequent changes in dChip since then.

Henrik is correct in that the pre-processing will also have an effect on
your comparison. Although I think recent versions of dChip do provide a
quantile normalization implementation it is not the default, but the
description below about using splines is accurate for the default
method. In the affy package this is reflected in "invariant"
normalization method (?normalize.AffyBatch.invariantset). Also last I
checked the dChip background was similar to what is done in MAS5 but in
a 10 by 10 grid rather than 4 by 4.

Best,

Ben