[BioC] Rgraphviz: Edge attributes not displaying

Mon Feb 5 18:28:43 CET 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Li.Long at isb-sib.ch wrote:

>> Nope, I get something very different
>>

>> character(0)
>>> AgEdge(g2)[[10]]@txtLabel at labelText
>> character(0)
>>
>> Given what I saw looking at the edgeAttrs of the Ragraph object
>> itself, (namely, Null), I'm guessing that the problem is there.  This
>> may also be why edge style (solid v. dashed) wasn't getting picked
>
> The problem with "lty" is different from this, we didn't even try
> to set
> that entry.  Here we do try, but don't get it right.
>
>> up.  Why it is different on linux instead of a mac, I am uncertain,
>> unless there are different binaries in the Bioconductor archive.
>
> Kasper,
>
> I see this problem on a 64-bit Linux machine as well.  So this
> might be a
> 64-bit vs. 32-bit issue.
>
> The size of a pointer is different on 64-bit machine vs. 32-bit
> machine,
> I'd pay some attention to that, since we are looking at the pointers
> here...

There is also the endian issue on the PPC (I am on a 32 bit machine)

> I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

It is rather bewildering. I have quite a lot of experience of looking
at how _node_ labels are handled in graphviz' C structures, and in
this case the edge labels are certainly behaving differently. Of
course, I guess edge labels are not used as much, so it could be a
bug somewhere.

The fact you see it on 64 bit Linux is at least a bit comforting :) I
guess it is using Graphviz 2.12?

Like I just wrote: I'll follow up on the Graphviz list later today.

Kasper