[BioC] How to analyze Affy data, CEL files not available

Bobby Prill rprill at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 7 18:08:27 CET 2007

I would like to analyze a set of 40 Affy experiments, but I do not
have the CEL files.  What I have is a spreadsheet of the MAS
expression measures, one column per array.  Each row corresponds to
one gene.

I load the data:
eset = read.exprSet(exprs="mydata.txt", phenoData="phenoData.txt")

My general question is, should/can I perform some sort of
normalization so that the arrays are comparable from one to
another?   or is this what MAS has already done?  (I'm not familiar
with Affy MAS.)

Other problems include:

1. MA plots indicate that the data cloud is skewed (not perfectly
centered on M==0 line).  Should I loess?

2.  Also, the M values have high variance at low A, which I think is
a byproduct of the MAS. Probably nothing I can do about this.

I think the typical advice would be to obtain CEL files and run rma
().  But if I'm stuck with the MAS expression calls, what to do?

Thanks.

- Bobby