[BioC] How to analyze Affy data, CEL files not available

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Feb 8 05:02:27 CET 2007

I have found that after MAS there are still patterns in the data that
can be removed by multi-array normalization.  (Try a pairs plot to see this).

Quantile normalization will remove these patterns, but this is very
stringent and can remove signal as well as noise.

If there is an array that makes a good baseline, you could use loess
normalization using this array as a common reference.  If not, cyclic
loess could be done.  You start by picking an array as the reference
and then normalizing every array against this.  Then you cycle to the
next array, and renormalize all the arrays using this normalized
array as the reference, etc.  I would have to do a web search to find
the paper that suggested this.

--Naomi