[BioC] Why not protein ids for GO resp. GOstats?

Kai Schlamp kschlamp at roborg.com
Mon Feb 12 01:42:07 CET 2007

Hello, everyone,

sorry if my quesition is a bit silly, I am new to bioinformtics and
Bioconductor.
Why does GOstats resp. the GO annotation package use entrez gene ids?
I thought, that GO terms are associated with proteins. And cause one
gene can be translated to diffenent proteins, analyzation only with gene
ids will perhaps be problematic.
Especially if the data consists of miRNAs or Proteins and you have to
convert it back to gene ids.
So why does Bioconductor not use the annotation data from the Gene
Ontology website. For example in the human annotation file, there are
Uniprot and IPI identifiers annotated.

Best regards,
Kai