[BioC] Problem with Rgraphviz on OSX with libgvc

Jarrett Byrnes jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 10 02:41:08 CET 2007

Hey, all, I'm trying to see if I can work with Rgraphviz as a means
of implementing graph plotting for the sem package (I tried
dynamicGraph, which was great for some things, but didn't deal with
directionality of arrows and doubleheaded arrows so well).  Also, sem
already outputs dotfiles, so it is logical to just pipe them in to
Rgraphviz or somesuch.

Anyway, I installed graphiviz from source on a machine running OSX
10.4.8, and it worked like a charm.

However, after installing Rgraphviz and it's dependencies, it was not
able to load, due to graphviz not installing a library it seemed to
need, libgvc where Rgraphviz wants it.    The error I get when I
attempt to load Rgraphviz is:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Versions/2.4/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/ppc/Rgraphviz.so':
   dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/
library/Rgraphviz/libs/ppc/Rgraphviz.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/
local/lib/graphviz/libgvc.2.dylib
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/
Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/ppc/Rgraphviz.so
   Reason: image not found

Looing at libgvc, I find that instead of
/usr/local/lib/graphviz/libgvc.2.dylib

I have installed
/usr/local/lib//libgvc.3.dylib

Hrm.  I noticed in a few posts that other solutions have been solved
by installing older versions of grpahviz?  Is this what I need to do
instead?  Will Rgraphviz be updated eventually to reflect the new
version?

Thanks!

-Jarrett