[BioC] hyperG over chromosome position...?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 16 21:48:43 CET 2007

Dario Greco wrote:
> hi all,
> thanks a lot for your emails and for implementing something (too late,
> you kind of promised now)! :)
> i will not even try, as i am far away from being a proper developer, i
> guess :)
>
> I agree that in many cases the chromosomal location is not biologically
> relevant, but there are some situations where it might be interesting to
> investigate.
>
> i am right now working with two different datasets:
> 1) a dataset where the subject is Down Syndrome. of course it could
> sound stupid, but still nice to provide statistics for the massive chr21
> upregulation :)

  umm, if you look at the figure on p 179 of our monograph, you will see
that there is no such massive up-regulation (at least for the data
presented there). A blunt instrument is unlikely to detect the sorts of
changes (at least on a single sample basis) that might be of interest.

> moreover, there are interesting issues of "critical regions" for
> diseases that are associated to DS and that have been historically
> described in certain cytobands of chr21 (eg. AtrioVentricular Septal
> Defect - AVSD - having probably 21q2.3 as critical region) .
> 2) a dataset where the subject is Tybe 2 Diabetes where i apparently
> observe clusters of dis-regulated genes located into the same
> chromosomal regions.
>
> besides these autobiographic stories, there are appealing theories
> inferring  that co-regulated genes might sit (sometimes) close to each
> other onto the same chromosomal region, to my understanding.

   yes, and hopefully the facts will coincide - as I said there are
certainly some biological reasons for this sort of behavior, in some
diseases. Fishing expeditions are IMHO unlikely to be useful.

rgentlem at fhcrc.org