[BioC] DSPAM Re: Loading multiple Affy chips simultaneously

lgautier at altern.org lgautier at altern.org
Sun Jan 28 05:06:25 CET 2007

> I just realized I forgot to give some basic information on my system:
> R 2.4.1
> affy 1.12.2
> gcrma 2.6.0
> Windows XP
>
> Paul

The "xy2i"-thing is a hair-rising concept: each cdf package defines
a function i2xy and xy2i that will convert index to xy coordinates on
the chip, and xy to index respectively. As you see, the function is
masked through successive loadings of different cdf packages
(and I will not need to elaborate on the consequences whenever the
different chips have different number of row and columns).

The "affy" package stuck to the safer function "indices2xi" and
"xy2indices", but there is no warranty that extension to the package
do as well. Scanning the code in the packages "AffyRNAdeg" and "gcrma"
(and all the packages they depend on), looking for xy2i and i2xy is one
thing you may want to do.
I have tried very hard to have this dangerous thing dropped... may this
email help to have it moved away for good.

Hoping this helps,

Laurent