[BioC] warnings from li wong summary method in expresso

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jan 31 18:14:07 CET 2007

Hi Marco,

marco zucchelli wrote:
> Laurent,
>
> according to affy vignette and MBEI paper of Li and Wong >10 arrays should
> be enough.
> Anyway I tried to process my arrays with dChip and there I get no warnings
> at all.
>
> I also exported the expression values from dChip in a text file and loaded
> them into R.
>
> Even if expression values cannot be compared I applied the same LIMMA
> analysis to both the
> expression values form expresso and dChip and the results are pretty
> different. For example I tried 12 arrays in couples of 2 duplicates
> (i.e. 6 tissues) and from LIMMA I got the following up-down regulated
> patterns (1=up, -1=down).
>
> dCHIP
>
>            T2-T1  T3-T2 T4-T3 T5-T4 T6-T5  counts
> [1,]       0        0        0       0       0       51742
> [2,]       0        0        0       0       1       1199
> [3,]       0        0        0       0      -1        616
> [4,]       0        0       -1       0       0        607
> [5,]       0        0        1       0       0        201
> [6,]       0        0        1       0      -1        101
> [7,]       0        0        0       1      -1        71
> [8,]       0        0       -1       0       1        27
> [9,]       0        0        0       1       0        20
>
> expresso
>
>            T2-T1  T3-T2 T4-T3 T5-T4 T6-T5  counts
> [1,]       0        0        0       0       0       46464
> [2,]       0        0        0       0       1       2299
> [3,]       0        0        0       0      -1       1715
> [4,]       0        0       -1       0       0       1164
> [5,]       0        0        1       0       0       691
> [6,]       0        0        0       1       0       409
> [7,]       0        0       -1       0       1       344
> [8,]       0        0        1       0      -1       340
> [9,]       0        0        0      -1       0       316
>

> I would have expected smaller differences, or am I out fishing ?

You have to understand that dChip is closed-source software, so we don't
really know how Cheng Li implemented things. All we can do is take what
he has said and make assumptions where he has not been completely
descriptive. The same is true of the implementation of MAS5 in the affy
package. The end results are usually close (very close in the case of
MAS5), but not exactly the same.

If you really want dChip expression values, then your best bet is to use
dChip.

Best,

Jim