[BioC] GSEA, HyperGeo vs gene-centric analysis

Weiwei Shi helprhelp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:50:33 CEST 2007

Hi, Arne:

I am a research scientist in GeneGo, Inc and most of my work focuses
on classification of microarray data from a perspective of pathway or
gene set. The shortest answer to your question, yes, gene set analysis
instead of gene analysis helps classification; but answer is easy,
convincing is way hard. In the situation of classificaiton using
limited-sample-size of microarray experiments, the result of
validating "pathway approach is better than gene one" is always not
significant, and thus, accuracy should not be the only criterion. As
you mentioned, pathway analysis is better than gene analysis b/c it
provides better understanding of biological mechanism; which should be
also included in consideration when you want to know if it helps or
not. B/c if you find the right mechanism (of course, how to defined
"right" based on if you can repeat, further discussion becomes of
philosophy question instead), therotically it gurantees your
"robustness", while most of time, robustness relies on sample size you
have. The more samples, the more you can be convinced. Therefore,
pathway analysis can be considered as one of possible solutions to the
limited sample size issue, IMO.

And, this is just some cents from my experience and research.

HTH,

Weiwei