[BioC] Problem with tkWidgets with 2.5.0 on Mac OS Tiger

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jul 3 23:15:42 CEST 2007

John --

John Cornell <cornell at uthscsa.edu> writes:

> Thank you Martin:
> The problem with tkWidgits also occurs with the Windows version.

Yes, the widget code is complicated to debug and hence difficult to
transform to work with the AnnotatedDataFrame object that replaces
phenoData. As I think I mentioned, this code is not specific to
operating system.

This has come up several times, how is the widget used -- reading
files from disk?  entering phenoData interactively? editing data
frames to be transformed to phenoData? If one of these uses
predominated, and especially if that use was 'reading files from
disk', then this might make it more feasible to update tkWidgets.

> I am encountering problems with other Affy tools, as well. For example, when I
> attempted to demonstrate the MAplot with data I had already analyzed, I got
> the following error message.
>> MAplot(baboon.raw,col=densCols(exprs(baboon.raw)),cex=.6,cex.main=.7)
> Error in assayData(object) : no slot of name "assayData" for this object of
> class "AffyBatch"

This is a version mis-match or, if baboon.raw has been serialized
(saved to disk), an object that needs to have

> baboon.fresh = updateObject(baboon.raw)

to transform it to the current version. It is still possible and
perhaps even likely that packages are expecting to work with the
old-style AffyBatch, but many work with the new style.