[BioC] technical vs biological replication in real-time

Juan Pedro Steibel steibelj at msu.edu
Fri Jul 6 20:10:50 CEST 2007

Hello Niki,
You should not treat biological and technical replicates in the same
way. The standard deviations provided by the termocycler software only
pertain to the within sample (purely technical) variability. Moreover,
to infer upon treatment effects in a broad inference context you should
refer to the sample-to-sample variability (so-called biological
variability). For this last purpose you have 4 reps (not 12).

You can use a hierarchical model to account for different levels of
replication. This can be done using a linear mixed model including both
the test and control gene and computing the (corrected) contrasts of
interest.

Please follow the link to a short paper with a linear model (model [3])
that we have proposed for this type of analysis. We did not use R for
the computations, but perhaps the lme4 package could be used.

http://www.wcgalp8.org.br/wcgalp8/articles/paper/23_528-1915.pdf

Best,
Juan Pedro

--