[BioC] filtering

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 21:44:03 CEST 2007

I would only remove probes from the analysis if the signal is
negligible in BOTH treatments, for ALL (or the majority) of the
arrays. Otherwise you're likely to remove things that are expressed in
one treatment but not the other and I can't imagine why you'd want to
lose those, as it's an extreme case of up/downregulation.

With regards removing probes before of after normalisation... I
personally prefer to remove them before. When I do filter (I don't do
this always), I identify probes/spots with signal too close to
background on each array, for each channel (mostly dealing with
2-colour arrays myself). Then, as indicated earlier, I only filter out
those that meet the criterion (for negligible  intensity) on BOTH
channels (both comparisons, whatever), on every array (or 80% of teh
arrays or whatever I deem appropriate in that particular case).

Then, those probes/spots are eliminated entirely (in limma, I just
give them weight of zero), and work with the rest.

I don't think that removing them after normalisation makes much
difference, in most cases, as they're going to be a bunch of spots on
teh far left of the MA plot, converging towards zero if the background
correction was good... and even if the background correction doesn't
make teh low intensity spots converge towards M=0, in most cases they
would be evenly distributed around M=0 (unless you have a very bad
background problem) and the end result would be the same.

Jose