[BioC] Duplicate Correlation through Blocks

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 17 00:11:31 CEST 2007

Hi Scott,

I replied on this topic earlier today.

>From what we've seen looking at the Agilent chips from our labs (mice
and human, 1x44 and 4x44 chips, made by several people), duplicate
probes on a chip give more or less identical results.

I'll let others say if it's appropriate to use blocking variable that
way, but I do not think the result would be very meaningful. It would
give you an estimate of a intra-chip technical variation that is
basically negligible compared to inter-chip technical variation.

Dealing with those duplicate probes "properly" would be a lot of work,
and I think it would give you very little at the end. We look at them as
a control that the signal from a given probe is reproducible and then
ignore them afterward.

Francois