[BioC] fitPLM query

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Tue Jul 24 04:42:36 CEST 2007

You might want to consider using NUSE and RLE for quality assessment
purposes. NUSE in particular is highly dependent on the weights, with
lower weights leading to extreme NUSE values, and is a bit more
sophisticated then what you are doing now.

Note that the absolute magnitude of the weights is of little importance.
In fact it is possible to get all weights under one if you use one of
the non-default weighting schemes implemented in fitPLM (though I doubt
anyone is actually using those). Instead it is the relative differences
in these weights, and whether the probes for these lower weights make up
a significant proportion of the probes in fall in a probeset, rather
than just stray probes here or there, that is important.

Best,

Ben