[BioC] affyQCReport before and after normalization

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jul 31 15:42:08 CEST 2007

Hi Sebastien,

Running affyQCReport() on an ExpressionSet doesn't really make any
sense. Probably 2/3 of the quality metrics are directed towards looking
at the raw data (probe-level), and the other 1/3 uses either residuals
from fitPLM() or ratios of the expression values.

In other words, affyQCReport() already does quality assessment of both
pre and post normalized (and summarized) data. Trying to do the
probe-level quality metrics on expression values doesn't make sense
since you no longer have probe-level data. In addition, rma() doesn't
return residuals, so you won't be able to do the boxplot of residuals.
Really the only thing you would be able to do would be the RLE() plot,
and that is already done by affyQCReport().

Best,

Jim