[BioC] Workflow question in lumi

Longsi Ran longsiran1126 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 16:19:29 CEST 2007

Hi, Simon,

Transformation first or normalization first, it is still a question.

I have been using commerce software for years.  GeneTraffic and its sister
ArrayAssist, for example, typically run normalization first, whether on one
color or two color data, then Log transformation, before statistic analysis
(such as F-test).

Sorin Draghici, in his book of "Data Analysis Tools for DNA Microarrays",
suggested workflow for cDNA microarrays in 8 steps (p.337).  Log
transformation is the step 7, after several normalizations.

R package "IlluminaGUI" does quantile normalization without Log
transformation first.

I am new to Illumina and R.  Do you have any test data to confirm that your
workflow is better than others?

Best regards.

Longsi Ran, M.D.