[BioC] How to do clustering

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Sun Jun 10 19:34:47 CEST 2007

Here is an example that shows one way of doing this:

# Generate a sample matrix
y <- matrix(rnorm(50), 10, 5, dimnames=list(paste("g", 1:10, sep=""), paste("t", 1:5, sep="")))
# Transpose the matrix if nessecary like this: y <- t(y)

# Use the following step if you want to use Pearson correlations as distance method
# instead of the default Euclidean distances.
mydist <- as.dist(1-cor(t(y), method="pearson"))

# PAM clustering, which is an advanced k-means method in R. The basic k-means function is kmeans()
library(cluster)
pamy <- pam(mydist, k=3)
pamy$clustering # provides the cluster assigments
plot(pamy) # plots the results

# MDS clustering to obtain 'meaningful' coordinates for a scatter plot
loc <- cmdscale(mydist)

# Generate a scatter plot for the MDS results where the PAM (k-means) clusters are labeled by color
mycol <- as.vector(pamy$clustering)
mycol <- rainbow(length(unique(mycol)), start=0.1, end=0.9)[mycol] # color selection steps
plot(loc[,1], loc[,2], pch=20, col=mycol, xlab="", ylab="", main="Scatter Plot")

# Scatter plot with sample labels
plot(loc[,1], loc[,2], type="n", xlab="", ylab="", main="Scatter Plot")
text(loc[,1], loc[,2], col=mycol, rownames(loc), cex=0.8)

More detailed instructions on basic clustering methods in R can be found on this page:
http://faculty.ucr.edu/~tgirke/Documents/R_BioCond/R_BioCondManual.html#R_clustering

Thomas

On Sun 06/10/07 02:55, ssls sddd wrote:
> Dear Bill,
>
> I am new to R so would you please elaborate further on how to
> extract the names of the snp's in each of the K clusters? In addition,
> is it possible for me to get the scatter plot of the clusters?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Sincerely,
>       Alex
>
> On 6/9/07, William Shannon <william.shannon at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > It depends on your goal for the analysis.
> >
> > If you are wanting to find snp's whose log2(ratio's) are similar across
> > the samples then you are done with the analysis after k-means (though you
> > should read the literature on k-means for various ways to select the optimal
> > k).  In this case you can extract the names of the snp's in each of the K
> > clusters directly from the kmeans object.
> >
> > If however you want to go one step further and see how these clusters
> > separate the samples then you could try what we did a long time ago in the
> > paper cited below (I can email you a of on Monday if you can't access it).
> >
> > In this paper we took the k-mean cluster centers and sorted them  by
> > their  log2(ratio) and looked to see how well they separated 2 (or maybe it
> > was 3) classes of skin  samples.
> >
> > A. M. Bowcock, W. Shannon, F. Du, J. Duncan, K. Cao, K. Aftergut, J.
> > Catier, M. A. Fernandez-Vina, and A. Menter
> > *Insights into psoriasis and other inflammatory diseases from large-scale
> > gene expression studies*
> > Hum. Mol. Genet., August 1, 2001; 10(17): 1793 - 1805.
> >
> > Bill
> > *ssls sddd <ssls.sddd at gmail.com>* wrote:
> >
> > Dear Bill,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Yes, they are Affy SNP data.
> > I used the MantelCorr Package. It worked well. Specifically, the commands
> > I ran are:
> >
> > library(MantelCorr)
> > kmeans.result <- GetClusters(x, 500, 100)
> > DistMatrices.result <- DistMatrices(x, kmeans.result$clusters)
> > MantelCorrs.result <- MantelCorrs(DistMatrices.result$Dfull,
> > DistMatrices.result$Dsubsets)
> > permuted.pval <- PermutationTest(DistMatrices.result$Dfull,
> > DistMatrices.result$Dsubsets, 100, 49, 0.05)
> > ClusterLists <- ClusterList(permuted.pval, kmeans.result$cluster.sizes,
> > MantelCorrs.result)
> > ClusterGenes <- ClusterGeneList(kmeans.result$clusters,
> > ClusterLists$SignificantClusters, data)
> >
> > Can you suggest me how to view the result? Is there a way to visualize the
> > clusters?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > On 6/7/07, William Shannon wrote:
> > >
> > > You may want to consider a k-means cluster. The pvclust appears to be a
> > > hierarchical clustering algorithm (with subsequent p value estimation)
> > which
> > > is causing the problem.
> > >
> > > Hierarchical clustering uses a pairwise distance matrix to form the tree
> [...]

Dr. Thomas Girke
Assistant Professor of Bioinformatics
Director, IIGB Bioinformatic Facility
Center for Plant Cell Biology (CEPCEB)
Institute for Integrative Genome Biology (IIGB)
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
1008 Noel T. Keen Hall
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521