[BioC] limma gene symbol not avialable problem

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jun 13 15:38:22 CEST 2007

Hi Daofeng,

Daofeng Li wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am doing analysis with Affymetrix's Medicago GeneChip(TM)
> i use library(medicagocdf) without error
> when i try to use affylmGUI to draw a MA plot,i select use Gene
> Symbol,but limma told me Gene Symbol is not avialable.why this problem
> would occur?

Because there is no annotation package for medicago. Without an
annotation package there is no mapping of probeset to gene symbol.

> is there any solution to fix that?Thanks!

You are going to have to annotate things yourself. Affy has an
annotation csv file that you could use to map from e.g., probe ID to
gene symbol (or whatever other annotation may exist in that file).

Unfortunately something like medicago is likely to receive very little
attention because the user base is much smaller than say, the primate
chip types. Given the number of different chips (and platforms, for that
matter) and the finite resources of Bioconductor, we have to focus our
efforts where they will count the most.

Because of this you will have to rely on your own resourcefulness to
figure out how things work and how to get what you want. This is both
the benefit and the curse of open source software - you have the ability
to do what you want with the code, but unlike proprietary software it's
often up to you to figure out what you want and how to get it.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.