[BioC] CLF/PGF parser

Thu Jun 14 18:10:28 CEST 2007

Hi Jim (with a cc to BioC so other interested parties can take note,
and a cc to devnet at affy in case there has been any updates).

The strange situation right now is that CLF/PGF files cannot be
parsed using the Fusion SDK (Affy's official file parsing SDK). There
are codes for parsing the files somewhere inside the source code of
the EXACT tools (I think - at least somewhere in the source of one of
Affy's programs). We are however loathe to take that code and add it
to affxparser because sooner or later, the SDK ought to start
supporting CLF/PGF files and then the time spent doing that would be
more or less wasted. Of course that decision is easier to make when
none of us have a use for parsing these files at the moment.

I find it somewhat strange that the file format has not been added to
the official SDK yet (I just checked version 1.09 again and I could
not find it), and I encourage everyone to mention it to their
Affymetrix representatives. As soon as that has been done, we will
start incorporating it into affxparser, something that should be a
fairly simple task.

Kasper