[BioC] Error installing EBImage on Suse 10.1

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 12:48:55 CEST 2007

Dear Paolo,

generally, it is not a good idea to install R package as a "super-user".

Please think of all the security risks and havoc that could be caused
(intentionally or unintentionally) by the code that is executed when a
package's Makefile are executed.

For a global (system-wide) installation, it is recommended to use a
special user-id with limited rights except for writing to the directory
where the software goes.

  Best wishes
  Wolfgang

Mark Dunning ha scritto:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I tried to install as root and my
> own username and I got the same error message.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>

> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:29 +0200, Paolo Innocenti wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> are you running the script as a superuser (root)?
>> It looks like a problem in writing permissions, or maybe the /home is
>> mounted on a protected partition? Did you change the fstab recently?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>> best,
>> Paolo
>>
>> Mark Dunning wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install EBImage on my 64-bit Linux machine, but am
>>> running into problems. I am using the command:
>>>
>>> biocLite("EBImage", type="source")
>>>
>>> Which seems to get quite far (it finds that I have ImageMagick 6.2.5)
>>> but it later fails with the following error:
>>>

>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> make: *** [EBImage.so] Error 1
>>> chmod: cannot access
>>> `/home/md392/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.5/EBImage/libs/*': No
>>> such file or directory
>>> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'EBImage'
>>> ** Removing '/home/md392/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.5/EBImage'
>>>

>>> Could anyone advise me on what the problem might be? I am always able to
>>> build packages in this way without any error.

Best wishes
   Wolfgang