[BioC] makePDpackage problem

Wed Jun 20 23:43:00 CEST 2007

Hi Ingrid

The PDpackages are chip design packages for use with the oligo
package. So far - as far as I know - the developers of that package
has focussed on expression arrays and snp arrays, not tiling arrays.
I could be wrong however. With the package you should be able to do
stuff like quantile normalization and RMA like background correction
because both of these approaches do not require a probe set (which
the tiling arrays do not have).

Unless there are (new) functions in the oligo package dealing with
the kind of analysis you are usually interested in when using tiling
arrays (peak finding or segmentation), I believe you will have very
to no use of the PDpackage you are in the process of creating, as
both quantile normalization and rma like background correction is
implemented in the affy package for a matrix. So the answer to your
question is perhaps "you cannot use your PDpackage for much" (Note:
this is written from my current knowledge of oligo, which is
certainly not up to date). I am sure Benilton can fill us in on the
details.

Most of the infrastructure for snp and expression arrays from Affy
centers around keeping track of probesets, something that does not
make sense for tiling arrays.

If you are interested in doing a standard segmentation of your data,
I would advise you to start with looking at the tilingArray package
(and the companion data package davidTiling). The package contains a
lot of useful code, but it is certainly not very user-friendly, so
you might want to start looking at the two papers documenting the
analysis implemented in the package to see if that is what you are
interested in. The package does not use any of the PDpackage stuff,
instead it reads everything into a standard ExpressionSet.

There might be other packages dealing with tiling array type data,
but I don't know about them. Having said so, some of the segmentation
algorithms from aCGH data (and associated packages) might also be
useful.

Kasper