[BioC] What is the best way to eliminate non-variants from set of arrays?

Ruppert Valentino ruppert7 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:18:44 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am analysing Affymatrix microarray experiment that involve the following
groups :

Group      No of samples
---------     --------------------

A              4

B              9

C              10

D              2

I would like to get rid of the non-variants to do unsupervised clustering. I
tried the simple filters like SD and fold change as in the Cluster software
but I always end up getting some of the technical probes like GAPDH Affy
coming come up and spoil the cluster. So the question is what is the best
algorithm to use to eliminate non-variant across the arrays non-specifically
i.e. without grouping them?

I was thinking of using dChip or eBayes but any suggestion/advice would be
greatly appreciated as the sample size is small here and the idea is to just
to eliminate non-variant genes to see if the unsupervised clustering brings
anything.

Regards

Ruppert