[BioC] Normalization in davidTiling demo

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 09:54:21 CET 2007

Dear Julian,

oh well. The non-linear optimisation routine L-BFGS-B that is used in
vsn (which is used in normalizeByReference for between-array
normalisation) can sometimes be a fit fiddly with its convergence
criteria. It seems there are some OS- or compiler-specific differences.

I am currently working on a completely revised version of vsn, and once
the normalizeByReference function has been been updated, this problem
may be solved.

For the short term:

- use Linux, or

- note that vsn is only used for the between-array normalization; the
main point of the normalizeByReference function is to adjust for probe
effects. Hence you can call the function on each RNA-array separately,
this will avoid the between-array normalization step but still do the
same kind probe effect adjustment. You can then do the between-array
normalization by some other means (e.g. just shift to the same median).

  Best wishes
    Wolfgang